Asthma is an affliction that unfortunately affects a vast amount of people. In the United States alone, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that about 25 million people (1 in every 13 people) are afflicted with asthma. This number adds up to 7.7% of adults as well as 7.5% of children. Because of this, it is crucial to know what symptoms and triggers to look for as well as what you can do to prevent them.
What is Asthma?
Before we go into discussing what triggers asthma and some solutions to preventing those triggers, it is important to have a good understanding of the condition itself and how it works.
According to Asthma.com, the condition is defined as: "a chronic, or long-term, disease that inflames and narrows your lungs’ airways. It causes a variety of symptoms that can worsen at any time, making breathing difficult".
So what kinds of symptoms are typically involved when someone has asthma? The degree of severity can vary from person to person based on a number of factors, but some of the most common symptoms can include:
- Coughing attacks
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness or pain
These symptoms occur because your airways narrow and swell and produce extra mucus. It is a chronic condition that varies from person to person. For some people it is just a nuisance. For others it is a major problem they need to deal with every day. And an asthma attack can even be life threatening.
What Triggers Asthma?
Asthma cannot be cured, but the symptoms of asthma can be controlled. Because of this, it is important for you to know what is in your home or work environment that might act as a trigger for an asthmatic reaction. The more action you take, the less likely it is that you or your loved one will have to deal with asthma related symptoms.
Asthma triggers often include:
- Airborne substances and particles, such as pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, or particles of cockroach waste
- Certain medications
- Strong odors
- Respiratory infections, such as the common cold
- Strenuous activity
- Food allergies and sensitivities
- Cold air and other weather changes
- Illnesses like cold, flu, and acid reflux
- Air pollutants and irritants, such as smoke
How Can You Eliminate Asthma Triggers?
Now that we have a better understanding of what asthma is, what its symptoms are, and what can potentially trigger it, it is time to find out what we can do to prevent these triggers.
What can you do to reduce or even eliminate the triggers that cause your asthma attacks? Controlling airborne substances within your home and/or work environment is the key. By doing this, you can reduce your exposure in the home. Some of the recommendations of the Mayo Clinic include:
- Use your air conditioner to reduce the amount of airborne pollen entering your home and to lower indoor humidity.
- Minimize dust in your bedroom to help with nighttime asthma symptoms. To minimize dust in a bedroom use dustproof covers on pillows, mattresses, and box springs. Remove carpeting and install hardwood or linoleum flooring. Keep curtains and blinds clean.
- Use a dehumidifier.
- Prevent mold by cleaning wet and damp areas around the house, especially the bathroom and kitchen.
- Avoid pets. If you do have a dog or cat, bathe them regularly to reduce pet dander.
- Clean your home regularly, at least once a week.
When dealing with asthma, it is also crucial to maintain as healthy of a lifestyle as you possibly can. The more you stay on top of your habits, the better off you will be in the long run. Some ways of doing this include, but are not limited to:
- Get regular exercise with a routine approved by your doctor
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Control heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Have a balanced diet
- Stick to your medication regimen, even when you are feeling fine
- Communicate regularly with your doctor or asthma specialist
Reduce Asthma Problems with an Air+Health Home Purifier
One of the best ways that you can help your loved one(s) or yourself with alleviating some of the symptoms of asthma is through the use of a home air purification system, like an Air+Health Haven Whole House Air Purifier. The Haven air purifiers are state of the art air purifying systems which utilize UV light to neutralize and eliminate a wide array of harmful contaminants in your home's air, allowing people with asthma or any number of other breathing related ailments to be less in harm's way.
The UVC germicidal lamp in the Air+Health Haven Whole House Air Purifiers work with your home's ductwork to attack any airborne bacteria, mold, viruses, and more as they circulate throughout your home. Additionally the Haven purifiers have the ability when mounted under or over an AC coil to clean it of organic toxins that might circulate through it. As a result, they can also help your AC work better and even save you money!
There are an abundance of ways that an Air+Health Haven Whole House Purifiers can make a whole world of difference not only with asthma, but other health concerns and home efficiency issues as well. It is an investment that can have a positive impact on your health, home, and wallet in the long run.
Some of these benefits include:
- Sterilizes and neutralizes most airborne contaminants
- Helps reduce asthma and allergy irritants
- Save on Energy Costs
- Energy efficient, low energy consumption
- Keeps AC coil free from organic toxins
- Enables AC to work more efficiently
The Air Health Haven Whole House Air Purifiers showcase a number of useful and beneficial features to homeowners in need of cleaner air. These make it not only more efficient than the competition, but overall more affordable in the long run.
These useful features from the Air+Health Haven Whole House Air Purifiers include:
- Compact design to fit conveniently into tight spaces
- Easy and simple lamp replacement
- Does not produce ozone
- Built-in twist and lock safety switch
- Plugs into a standard 120 Volt outlet
- Includes all the parts required for installation
Get an Air+Health Haven Whole House Air Purifier Today!
Do not wait around one more minute to take the health of you and your loved ones into your hands! With an Air+Health Haven Whole House Purifier, you can help an asthmatic loved one breathe easier in almost no time! You will breathe easier too, literally! Buy one now to start having cleaner air and better health!